Skip To Main Content


Clinic Procedures

Due to the recent passage of Florida Statue 1014.06 (Parents Bill of Rights - Parental Consent for Health Care Services); Parents must now provide affirmative consent for schools to provide health care services to minor students.  This means that a service we routinely provided in the past such as rendering ice packs, band aids, or taking a student’s temperature can no longer take place on the school campus without parental consent on file.  The district will require parent/guardian consent to allow for the services traditionally provided by school clinic assistants, including care and treatment for general health services which may include but is not limited to band aids, ice packs, wound coverings, anti-itch cream such as calamine lotion, etc.

PLEASE NOTE: Until the school receives the VCS Student Emergency Card with Consent, teachers, clinic assistant/s and other school personnel cannot provide band-aids, ice packs, or additional services on campus for minor injuries or complaints.  Consent must be verified before any treatment is provided.

If the school does not have consent on file, parents will be notified each time their child comes to the clinic requiring care with the expectation that they pick up their child if he/she appears sick, unwell, or needs first aid care.

Please keep in mind the school staff still reserves the right to call 911 and provide emergency care in the event of a serious accident, injury, or illness regardless of if we have parent/guardian consent on file per School Board Policy.

Please be aware that additional consent and/or doctor’s orders are still required for medication administration and medical procedures.

All students must have an Emergency Card with contacts and phone numbers on file in the clinic. In the event of an emergency, parent contact is made with the information on the emergency card. Emergencies happen more often than you think. Without the emergency card and medical consent on file valuable medical care could be delayed.

An ill student must receive a pass from their teacher to go to the clinic during class time or in between classes. A pass is not needed during the lunch period. Because the Nurse is available during the student’s lunch, the clinic is closed during 5th period for the Nurse to take her lunch. Any student who is feeling ill during lunch should not wait until the end of lunch to go to the clinic. Only emergencies will be dealt with in the Dean’s office during 5th period.  All others must wait until the Nurse returns at the end of 5th period.

Emergencies and bleeding wounds will be given priority treatment; otherwise students will be seen in the order that they enter the clinic.

The nurse will make contact with the parent and appropriate arrangements will be made to release the student or send back to class. If it is decided that the student will be sent home, the parent or guardian must come into the main office to sign the student out. Students who drive to school will be released through the nurse’s office after it is determined that the student must be sent home provided the student is well enough to drive. 

Medication such as pain relievers, cold medication, antacid, aspirin (over the counter drugs) will not be given to students without a prescription from the doctor and completed paperwork is on file. Prescription medication as well as over the counter must be brought into the clinic by a parent. Students may not carry any medication on their person. All medication is stored in the clinic and dispensed only by the nurse or designee.  The only exception to this is a doctor’s statement completed student administered medical form.

Students will be allowed 15 minutes in the clinic, during which time parent contact will be attempted. Students must return to class if the school is unable to contact the parent or if it is determined that the student will not be leaving campus.

Please view the Student Health services website to access the new medication forms and or procedure forms. Medication forms, procedure forms, and emergency care plans must be renewed by the parent, at or before the beginning of each school year in order for your child to receive medication or procedures during school hours on a school campus. Students carrying their own epipen​​, inhaler or diabetic supplies, are also required to have medication forms on file with their zoned school. Below are a few helpful links.

Administration of Medication

Only the principal, school nurse, or trained staff shall administer prescription medication to the student or assist the student in the administration of such medication on a school campus. Prior to the administration or self-administration of medication, including over the counter medications, parents/legal guardians must complete the designated forms. At no time may a student bring any medication to the school. Medication must be transported to school by a parent or legal guardian.

AdventHealth eCare is Now Available for VCS Families

Using AdventHealth eCare, students and their parents will experience a face-to-face video visit with a board-certified physician or nurse practitioner for a range of urgent care issues, such as pink eye, coughs/colds/flu, minor injuries, allergies, urinary tract infections, and more.

During this virtual visit, students can receive a diagnosis for minor ailments, learn about treatment options, receive follow-up instructions and obtain a prescription if needed – all without leaving the comfort of your own home.