Cheer Coaching Staff
Dr. Keisha Rentz- JV Coach/ Administrator in Charge
Linda Truitt: Head Varsity Coach
Andrea Lee: Assistant Varsity Coach
2020-2021 TRY OUT INFORMATION
2020-2021 CHEER TEAM TRY-OUT INFORMATION
2020/2021 Cheerleading Tryouts
August 17 - 18, 2020 4 pm – 6:30 pm new cheerleaders
August 17-18, 2020 6:30 pm – 8 pm returning cheerleaders
August 19, 2020 between 4 pm and 8 pm will sign up for times
FHSAA Sports Physical, Liability Certificate and Certificate for Heat and Concussion Related Illness
Parent Release Form
Tryout information sheet
Spruce Creek High School Cheerleading is a sport that is open to all boys and girls in
Members of the Spruce Creek High School Cheerleading Squad represent their school at all times, whether at school or in public. All members are expected to uphold the reputation and tradition of SCHS.
Practice will be a minimum of two days per week and will continue through the beginning of February or the end of basketball season. Cheerleaders are encouraged to participate in other sports and school activities. Coaches will work together on scheduling. Please discuss this individually with your coach
- All cheerleaders are responsible for paying a cheer fee. This fee is used for uniforms and other expenses.
- Cheerleaders are responsible for paying for personal.
- There may be fundraising opportunities for personal items. Fundraising done in order to decrease each individual person’s cost is optional. Participation in team fundraisers is mandatory. All Fundraising monies are being raised in the name of Spruce Creek High School Cheerleading, and are, as such, non-refundable.
- All financial obligations from the previous year must be paid before participating in the tryout clinic.
- All fundraising or moneys paid for non-personal items are non-refundable.
- Cheerleaders are required to attend and be on time to all activities.
- Unexcused absences may affect a cheerleaders’ ability to perform at that particular game or pep-rally; even if the absence is due to other school-related activities.
- Cheerleaders are required to wear assigned attire to practice and to school on the day of a game (this includes shoes).
- Cheerleaders are required to attend school for at least five periods on the day of any scheduled activity.
- Dentists and doctor appointments should be arranged on scheduled non-practice days.
- All other activities (this includes work), must be scheduled around regular activities.
Practice, Games, and Other Cheerleading Activities:
Not all conduct situations can be addressed in this contract. There will be situations that arise, when the coach will have to make a judgment call. The coaches will do their very best to be fair and handle matters as they come up.
- Cheerleaders are required to comply with all Volusia County and FHSAA scholastic requirements.
It is the participant’s responsibility to have transportation to all practices, games, and other cheer activities. We do encourage parents to volunteer as drivers for carpools.
Cheerleaders are expected to be responsible for themselves and their actions. Any member that violates the rules of this contract or instructions given by the coach will be dismissed from the squad.
The following actions could result in expulsion from the squad:
- Repeated tardiness to games, practices or unexcused absences
- Not being prepared for practice and/or games (This includes poms, shoes, briefs, bow …etc.)
- Wearing any kind of jewelry while in uniform (Note – Stud post earrings are permitted at school but not practice or games.
- Exhibiting poor attitude or lack of respect for any coach or teammate.
- Failure to perform at your ability level during any game or practice. This includes not paying attention, carelessness, mouthing the words, sloppy motions, and poor stunting technique…etc.
- Failure to wear assigned attire to school on game days.
- Altering a uniform without permission from the coach.
- Showing public display of affection while in uniform.
**Please understand that not everything can be addressed in this contract. There will inevitably be unforeseen situations and circumstances that are not mentioned that could result in disciplinary action or expulsion from the squad. We ask for your cooperation and understanding in our efforts to be fair to all participants.
Things are different this year and we do not have all of the answers yet …
YOU MUST HAVE CURRENT PHYSICAL ON THE ATTACHED FORM AND COMPLETE ALL OTHER PAPERWORK TO PARTICIPATE
Tryouts will take place in the freshman atrium and will consist of learning cheer, chant, jumps and a sideline dance. We will not be doing any tumbling or stunting at this tryout and will comply with all Volusia County contact rules. Cheerleaders will be evaluated on their technical ability, attitude, ability to learn material and spirit. There are no automatic placements and we currently have no idea how many we will take on each squad.
There will be a $125 cheer fee due within 2 weeks after tryouts. Any obligations to cheer from prior years must be paid before tryouts.
Information on competitive cheer will be presented when available. Participation in sideline cheer, either JV or Varsity, will be required to compete.
If need more information, please contact a coach.
Keshia Rentz Linda Truitt
Director of Cheerleading Operations, JV Cheer Coach Varsity Cheer Coach
Parent Release / Information form
(Cheerleader Name) _________ _________________
(Current Grade Level) _______ (Alpha Code) _________
I, the undersigned, have read and fully understand the rules and regulations which will govern my son/daughter if he/she is chosen to represent Spruce Creek High School as a cheerleader. I further understand that Cheerleading is considered a Sport and that attendance at all practices, games, special functions, and summer camp is a requirement of the elected cheerleader.
I understand that all forms attached must be completed before being allowed to participate in the clinic. I understand that my son/daughter must have a sports physical on file in order to tryout.
I understand by the very nature of the activity,
I hereby give my consent to my daughter/son, ________________________ to tryout for
Parent signature: ______________________________________ Email___________________________
Work Phone #: _______________________ Cell Phone # ______________________
If I am elected as a cheerleader at
Candidate’s signature: ____________________________________ Email_____________________
Candidate’s phone # ____________________ Cell phone # ________________________